I wonder if anyone else has ever pondered this question? I said it when Kendall was a newborn and I will say it again. I fully believe that human offspring are born a bit too early (NOT that I wanted to be pregnant any longer than I was.) However, it makes little to no sense to me that adult humans generally need more than 2-3 consecutive hours of sleep to be functional and/or pleasant, but infant humans need to eat every 2-3 hours to be functional and/or pleasant. Someone is going to draw the short straw there, hopefully the adult human. Also, very few newborns are particularly pleasing to the eye at birth. Yes, mothers are hormonally programmed to think their own newborn is cute, but on the whole, well meaning friends typically smile and say "Oh, he/she is gorgeous!" and then walk away wondering why the baby's head is so misshapen and why there are so many red splotches all over it's wrinkly face. I was convinced when Kendall was a newborn that she was the most beautiful baby ever born (thank you hormones) but I look at her now next to pictures of her when she was a newborn and NOW she is beautiful! NOW she can smile, laugh, interact, hug and give kisses. While part of me wishes she'd stay a baby forever, I would never go back to those first few months where all she did was sleep, eat, poop and pee ... and really all I did for her was feed her, change her, and move her from place to place in the house.
Does anyone else think that perhaps human babies should be born a bit more "advanced"???
THEN:
NOW:

1 comment:
this is funny ... i just had this conversation with three friends this weekend and we all laughed because we were all convinced that our babies were the most beautiful babies in the world when they were born and now we all wonder what we were thinking! but that eating every 3 hours thing, i agree ... it makes no sense.
Post a Comment