Following a particularly unpleasant day that involved, among other things, having a metal thermos lobbed at my head, being hit, kicked, and purposely thrown up on during a fit over taking her antibiotics, I decided to use Mick Elf to his fullest potential. Instead of leaving candy in her advent calendar, he left a note saying the following: "Dear Kendall, I did not like your behavior yesterday and had to report it to Santa. I am sorry to say that you are now on the Naughty List so no candy today. I will be watching from afar and will return when I see that you can be nice to your mommy."
I was actually feeling a bit guilty about it the next morning. Until the regularly scheduled morning fit over her attire commenced and I was called "stupid." Guilt. Gone. Her little face lit up when she saw the note from Mick Elf, then promptly fell when I read it to her. I felt a little bad, but not stupid. She spent the morning ride to school talking about things she could do to get back on the Nice List. And she was an angel that afternoon and evening. I contemplated milking this for a few more days but then decided that would be cruel. Just before bed, she drew this picture for Mick Elf to take to Santa and signed it "Naughty List Kendall." I'm still not sure if she signed this way because she was repenting or proud of her status. And I didn't ask.
He returned the next morning and left candy in the advent calendar along with a note saying he was proud of her good behavior and to keep it up. I think I need a year round elf because this worked brilliantly!

2 comments:
I just shared this on my recent FB post about the threat of Santa, which evolved into an Elf on the Shelf conversation in the comments. You are being hailed as a parenting genius.
Jacki (Stacy's friend)
Jacki, "Parenting genius" ... that's hilarious! I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, right? ;) Hope you and your family are well!
Post a Comment