In an effort to consolidate this year's celebrations into a time frame that coincided with Nana and Saza's visit, I scheduled Kendall's birthday party 3 days after Christmas. This decision could quite possibly make it to the top 10 of my lifetime bad decisions. Nevertheless, it was a great party. Mainly because I didn't have to do much of anything. Nana made the cupcakes and got the favors together and then all I had to do was show up at the party. I even managed to do that a good 10 minutes late with no harsh consequences. The fact that her party was at a location an hour away from our house was unfortunate, but nicely balanced with the fact that this place threw an absolutely fabulous party.
It began with each girl choosing her favorite princess dress from a collection of at least 100 dresses. Then they all had their hair put into fancier configurations than I could have ever imagined!
This picture doesn't do the hairstyle justice. It was french (I think?) braided and then put into an actual bow of hair. The child doesn't let me brush her hair most mornings ... but she allowed this to happen to her head.
While the girls had their hair (and makeup and nails) done, there was karaoke. Kendall was the only one who chose to sing. And without any wine! Clearly more brave than her mother.
They also had crafts for the girls to do and jewelry for them to make.
Then there was a fashion show! Each girl chose a name, most of them princesses, and walked the catwalk.
She enjoyed every second in the spotlight(s).
The girls were photographed while still dressed in their princess attire and each given a copy of the group picture in frames they had help make during the craft time. This picture is missing two girls who wished to remain anonymous. There were a total of 11 princesses at the party.
Because there was actually time remaining after clothes were changed, of course there was limbo. Did I mention that this entire party occurred in 1.5 hours??
God forbid the party end with limbo. When we got home, each and every gift had to be opened. Immediately.
Yet again, Nana completely outdid herself and made a princess wardrobe of princess clothes for the American Girl doll, who has been named "Cara-Rachel" after her two teachers. This included the actual wardrobe on which to hang such clothing for the doll. I now feel somewhat out of place here, having no princess dresses of my own in the house.
Kendall adores her Lalaloopsie "hair" doll from Auntie M and Papa Hugh. I am a bit freaked out by it. There is just nothing normal about Lalaloopsie with their big heads and skinny wiggly legs ...
The kid absolutely cleaned up gift-wise this year. Each and every gift from her friends was unique and well thought out. Kind of made me feel bad about the number of gift cards I've given over the past year.
On her actual birthday, I had to work. But Chris was able to take her to the mall and was talked into allowing yet another Build A Bear stuffed animal. Hello Kitty this time. I can't stand that place so I'm grateful I wasn't there. They also had lunch at the mall and went to visit Grandmother and Pops ... where she of course received more gifts! She had received one gift from Mommy and Daddy that morning before I left for work - a gymnastics leotard for her doll. Then we gave her a very plush new robe and a gymnastics leotard for herself (that didn't even fit one of her legs - clearly I have no concept of her size).
She and Daddy baked a cake earlier that day (as pink as her robe) and we had a quiet celebration after her dinner at (where else?) Alligator Cafe.
Kendall cut her own piece of cake this year. And ate the entire thing.
When she returned to school the following week, she had not one, but two more birthday celebrations. We are officially celebrated out. In mid January. The other night she said to me, "Mommy, each day is one day closer to Christmas, right? And my birthday, right?!" Oh dear god help me.




















No comments:
Post a Comment