Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Monday, March 30, 2009

The Dark and Frilly Side

I have now made my first visit to the dark ....or rather, the frilly side. As soon as I found out we were having a girl, I became very determined that I would do my best to avoid gender stereotyping my child and that she will know from day one that, as a girl, she can do anything and everything boys can do. She can play sports, she can play with bugs, she can do math, and she can become the President of the United States (Only if she's a Republican, though. If she's not, her father will have her locked away somewhere). Conversely, should it be her choice, she can wear pink ruffles, play with dolls, have tea parties, and be as prissy as her little heart desires. But the type of girl she becomes was going to be her choice, not anyone else's ...including her mother's.

I am ashamed and disappointed in myself for purchasing this dress for her (even though it was a mere $4 at a consignment sale) and I apologize to Kendall in advance should she become a tomboy, run across this picture her mother has now put on the internet, and have to suppress an urge to vomit.

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS, HOW FRIGGIN' CUTE IS SHE IN THIS DRESS????

3 comments:

Melanie Rupprecht said...

Absolutely adorable! I'm so glad you have given in to pink and frilly! Being able to choose Kendall's outfits is a short lived mother's privilege (as we have learned from Izzy) so enjoy!

Stacy said...

See, we all fall sooner or later ... and that dress is SUPER CUTE. She wears it well!

Unknown said...

You forgot Olympic Skeet Shooting Gold Medalist!