Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First Haircut

After months of soul searching, I finally came to the conclusion that having a few baby hairs cut off of my child's head would not kill me. Or her. But I didn't for a second delude myself into believing that it would be easy for either of us. I researched a bunch of places that "specialize" in kids' hair cuts - the ones that stick the kid in a car shaped chair and have big screen tv's all over the place showing any and all popular children's programs. But I was hearing more and more horror stories about kids having a blast at those places, but walking out with nothing short of butchered haircuts. Not gonna happen to my little girl. If I had a boy, my decision might have been different ... then again, probably not. I made Kendall an appointment at my fancy Aveda hair salon (Avalon) in trendy uptown Dallas.

Because Kendall flips out when I merely ask her if I can put pig tails in her hair ... and I literally have to chase her around her playroom every morning with a wet brush in a futile attempt to tame the beast that grows on her head every night, I prepared diligently for this occasion. I arrived with an arsenal of diversionary tactics (stickers, coloring objects, ALL gazillion of her hi-hi's, chex mix, raisins, Bo Bear, more stickers, and 4 lollipops). Turns out all we needed was a mirror in front of her ... which is, thankfully, standard in most salons. She did have a lollipop, but was quickly frustrated with the hair that occasionally stuck itself to her treat. I honestly think she'd have been ok just staring at herself and enjoying being pampered. It was like she was BORN to be sitting in a fancy spa being beautified. Definitely my kid. Then again, her father has his hair "done" every other week like clockwork so perhaps this trait is not all my fault!







And here's another bump in the road for my campaign for mother of the year - I completely forgot to save a lock of hair from her first haircut! BAD MOMMY!!!

No comments: