After a brief period of panic that the outfit in this first picture was what Kendall was going to be wearing to her first dental appointment (she refused to remove it when it was time to go but I wound up removing it for her and then had to delay our departure by 3 minutes for a "defiance time out"),
she did REALLY well! These people were wonderful and they really took their time making her feel comfortable and positive about the experience. She allowed the hygienist to brush her teeth, floss her teeth, and even scrape off tartar from the front bottom teeth. She was especially into the suction straw and I fear she's going to want one here ... although she's equally into spitting so maybe the "sucker straw" can remain a dentist office novelty.
She let Dr. Plunk (who is also a pediatric orthodontist, which I love) poke at her teeth and scrape at them some more, and then brush on a flouride treatment. There were a few tears for the flouride treatment but she recovered quickly. No cavities. Good spaces between the teeth for future growth. Small amounts of buildup but they said that's typical on the front bottom teeth. They have slight concerns about her bite (something about her upper jaw being oddly shaped) but either she'll grow out of it or she'll have braces. I had pretty much resigned myself to shelling out $$ for braces for her anyway, given her genetic predisposition. Because of my personal jaw issues (adult braces, oh-so-fun jaw surgery and several months with my mouth wired shut), the news of an "oddly shaped jaw" in my child did not set well with me, but they assured me that it will be fixed early with braces IF she doesn't grow out of it. Soooo, I think it was a successful first visit with the dentist. Well, except the part when she melted down b/c she had gone to the potty and I wouldn't give her a treat IN the office, so she asked him (the dentist) for a lollipop. At least she didn't ask him for a binky, right??





No comments:
Post a Comment