Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer 2012 - update #1

This summer is going to be a busy one.  Kendall is only in camp 2 days a week (my office days), but she has an hour and a half dance camp class every Thursday morning and a 45 minute swim class every Friday morning.  So that leaves us with Tuesdays "free" to get stuff done.  All three "activities" (swim lessons, dance class, and camp) started out with tears.  

I had to hide around the corner during the majority of the first swim class after allowing the teacher to pry my screaming child out of my arms and into the water .... where she proceeded to cry for a good 30 minutes.  She finally joined in a bit but not much.  

 


The second swim class was a bit better and she willingly walked into the pool area without me ... but still crying.  She allowed herself to be put under the water a couple of times, but both times she came up sputtering, coughing, and crying.  It was awful and I really wish I'd been hiding around the corner and hadn't seen that.  



Here she is "preparing" for her first dance class where she not only gets to do ballet, but also gets to tap!


Didn't get any pictures of the first dance class because, again, I had to ask the teacher to pry Kendall (screaming) out of my arms and promised she'd stop as soon as I left.  She did.  And when she walked out, the first thing she said to me was, "Mommy!  I stopped crying as soon as you left!"  Really?  (Sigh)

Here she is showing some of her "moves."


(Ninja ballet?)

We have also planted a few large pots with flowers so she can tend to "gardens" this summer.  I fully expect these flowers to live less than a couple of weeks, but if we manage to keep them alive, we may try to plant something that we might be expected to actually grow.  Yes, she's in an oversized t-shirt, jean shorts, and rain boots.


Can't forget the excursion to the mall where she felt up an unsuspecting mannequin.


Camp at the JCC (Camp Simchah) started this week and the first morning began with tears and a steadily repeated mantra of "I don't wanna go.  I wanna go home." the entire drive there.  But when she walked in and realized she was in her exact same classroom with the exact same kids and the exact same teacher (Ms. Leslye) from last year, she was thrilled and didn't even turn around to say goodbye to me.  Turns out the teacher in her nap class is Miss Mari, her other teacher from last year so camp should be good for Kendall this summer!  The only thing that worries her is the pool time every morning and she was pleasantly surprised that Leslye (and her other counselors) "did not let her sink" in the pool!  I guess she had visions of sitting on the bottom of the pool there.  Poor little thing!  Her second day also started with tears and lots of whining, but when Leslye asked her how she was doing that morning, she replied, "Not so good.  I've been whiney this morning so Mommy isn't having a good morning either.  But I'm going to stop when Mommy leaves."  Gosh, thanks.  When I picked her up, she talked non stop about how "awesome" her day was so I think she'll be settled in by next week and the mornings won't be so tough.  

Tomorrow is the second dance class and she's already started whining about not wanting to go to that class.  She's such a negative nellie!  I'm pretty sure she gets that from her father.  



No comments: