After three years of saying I was going to throw Kendall a HALF birthday party instead of a party on her real birthday because it's so exhaustingly close to Christmas, I finally did it! Sadly, Kendall's choice was Chuck E. Cheese. I really can't stand Chuck E. Cheese. BUT, I did figure out how to do a CEC party with a reasonable budget ... don't plan one with them - just show up with a bunch of kids, cupcakes, drinks, and coupons for pizza and tokens. As genius as I thought I was doing this, come to find out it is not only allowed by management, but encouraged. The only thing I was "spoken to" about was the fact that we brought our own drinks. We all had a really great time and Kendall LOVED being the star of her party.
She dutifully showed Saza all of her favorite games.
Even Grandmother got in on the action! :)
And apparently was super hungry because she parked herself at the table a good thirty minutes before everyone else was finished playing and then downed three pieces of pizza!
My greatest feeling of accomplishment came from the cupcakes I made. Not necessarily the fact that I made them, but the fact that I refrained from setting anything on fire like I did the last time I made her birthday cupcakes. (see this post for the details: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7552745794490921173#editor/target=post;postID=7702664660419761753 )
The "Half Birthday Girl" was all grins when "Happy Half Birthday" was sung to her. I didn't even want to look around to see if we were being gawked at by others for the song.
(sigh...)
After a nice long nap (for both of us, actually, since I managed to get sick just in time for the celebration), Nana and Saza came back over and Kendall opened her gifts. Given the fact that this was NOT a true birthday, the did pretty well! Nana and Saza got her a book called "The Tiniest Mermaid" and a weird looking (but adored) mermaid doll, as well as a super creepy stuffed "Animal" from the Muppet Movie (a current fave around here). Mommy and Daddy got her an Angelina Ballerina puzzle and an Angelina Ballerina doll house set. And, despite being told not to bring gifts, some sweet friends did anyway and she got some cool Mickey Mouse books, a Sesame Street arts and crafts set, a ballerina book, ballerina stickers, and an really cool magnetic ballerina dress up doll (love me some Melissa and Doug!).
And the day ended with a nice bedtime story from Saza and Nana. All in all, poorly timed sickness on my part aside, it was a wonderful day!
Here are some shots of her party guests. To say I adore these kids and their parents is an understatement! We've known many of them since they were teeny tiny babies!




















No comments:
Post a Comment