This is how my poor little girl looked for most of the week. I had kept her out of school the previous Friday because she had a dry cough and was snotty, but the 102+ fever she had on Monday got her taken to the doctor and strep tested. Was "just a virus" ... but a nasty one. Caused me to lose my voice and require antibiotics to stop coughing up thick yellow goop. And daddy didn't escape healthy either ... despite heroic efforts consisting of dousing himself in various hand sanitizers after coming into contact with me or Kendall and relocating to the guest room to avoid me "breathing on him in my sleep." He moved back to our room once he started coughing too and it became clear that his efforts at staying healthy were in vain.
I attempted to go to work on Wednesday and was politely told to go home and rest. What they failed to realize is that my nice quiet office was significantly more restful than my germ infested home with my pitiful and very needy little girl. My mom was most helpful this past week and Grandmother brought enough food for several days. By Friday, I was concerned that Kendall's fever was still returning every time I missed a dose of Tylenol or Ibuprofen and took her back to the doctor. Of course, just as I was telling the doctor that "the child hasn't eaten in a week" she requested her snack and proceeded to down it in front of him. She also had no fever at all, was singing when he walked into the exam room, and announced "I ALLLL better now!" as she threw her hands in the air and then wished him a happy birthday in song, first in English, then in Hebrew. I hope I don't ever have to see this particular pediatrician in this office again. Pretty sure he's still laughing at me. Here she is at her second, and pointless, visit to Pediatric Associates of Dallas last week.
She officially missed 4 days of school with this illness. Since both Chris and I were still feeling "unwell" on our normal Saturday "Family Fun Night," and we didn't want to risk any potential for a relapse that might keep Kendall out of school any more days, we kept "FFN" low key and at home. We ate pizza and watched the first Toy Story movie - well, Chris watched it while Kendall played in the general vicinity of the television and I watched her to make sure she wasn't destroying anything (or any dogs) in the house. Mid-movie, we paused it and made ice cream sundaes. Kendall was ALL about this and, at least temporarily, set aside her beliefs that "ice cream is too cold for me." She had rainbow sprinkles, chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce,
It was a nice end (setting aside the high decibel screaming fit for a binky right after the sundae) to an otherwise miserable week for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment