Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Friday, June 29, 2012

Chihuly Nights Concert - Dallas Arboretum

When I heard there was a "blown glass exhibit" (by the "renowned artist," Dale Chihuly - of whom I had never heard) coming to the Dallas Arboretum, I have to admit that I was not initially impressed.  When I heard how much $$ the Arboretum was shelling out for this thing, including a $22M insurance policy, my interest was peaked, but still, it's glass .... how exciting can it be??  Well, just take a look at the pictures below!  Oh.  My.  God.  This is some d*mn impressive stuff!!!  


















On Thursday nights, the Arboretum has outdoor concerts so, not only did we get to see the surprisingly cool blown glass exhibit, we went to the concert as well!  For a kid who didn't want to go on the stage for her dance recital, Kendall was ALL about going up there and dancing with the (really impressive and very kid-friendly) disco band.  I'll post a video separately of her intermission performance.  






She even took a bow!  Several, actually.


Temperatures were still in the 100's when the sun went down and there was no breeze so it was slightly miserable for the adults in attendance (myself, Grandmother, Nana, and Saza).  But Kendall had a blast!  The child stayed up until 10:30 at night, which gives me great hopes for fireworks this year!  


Here are a couple more Chihuly ("Chihula" as Kendall calls it) pics after it got dark.  Even more impressive!  





We did A LOT of walking .... and when I say "we," I do not mean Kendall.  Must be nice, kiddo - enjoy it while it lasts.  Before you know it, you'll be pulling your old mother around in a wagon!  :)




3 comments:

Jacki said...

The Desert Botanical Garden in PHX had a similar Chihuly show and I'm bummed I never go there to see it. I've heard they're doing it again and I also believe that they're doing some fundraising to have a few pieces permanently installed.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Jacki!!! At the risk of sounding like a complete and total stalker, I've been going through Taryn update withdrawals since A to Z is on "hiatus!" How have you all been? Do you have another blog I can stalk? ;)