Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"Monarchy"

Disney princesses have never been on my list of "favorites" - quite the opposite, actually.  I harbor a special sort of ill will toward the Pocahontas movie as she is an actual historic figure who has been horribly warped and disfigured into the Disney princess stereotype from which I would love to shield my daughter.  That said, in my desperate need for Kendall to stop talking for a few precious minutes this evening, lest my ears bleed from overuse, she is currently watching this shameful movie.  I'm sure mightier have fallen.  However, this post isn't meant to be a confession, but rather to share a conversation she and I just had after I casually informed her that Pocahontas was a real person in history:

Kendall:  "Mommy, was Pocahontas a princess?"
Me:  "Well, not really.  Her father was an indian chief."
Kendall:  "So why wasn't she a princess?"
Me:  "Because her father wasn't a king."
Kendall:  "Why wasn't he a king?"
Me:  "He just wasn't (please stop talking now)."
Kendall:  "But why was he a chief and not a king?"
Me (clearly struggling at this point):  "Because the indians didn't have a monarchy."
Kendall:  "Oh.  Thanks, Mom."

Really???  That ended the conversation? (not that I'm complaining!)

No comments: