Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Saturday, June 21, 2014

This could be the start of something beautiful ....

... or ugly.  Not sure yet.  Last weekend, Kendall was up for an undetermined amount of time before I got up.  Mind you, I got up at 7, it's not like I was reliving my youth and sleeping 'til noon.  Kendall had fixed herself breakfast and was extremely proud of herself!  She moved a chair around the kitchen to stand on it to get a bowl, cup, spoon, cereal box and milk.  Only glitch was the milk hadn't been opened and she couldn't figure out how to pull the little round plug thing off the pour spout.  So she stabbed it several times so milk could (sort of) flow out.  She initially told me she did the "stabbing" portion of this project with safety scissors.  Then later in the day admitted that she used my good Henckels knifes.  I didn't want to know any more.  There was no blood on the counter or on the child  There was, however, milk all over my refrigerator.  But it was such a sweet gesture to let me "sleep in" that I'm encouraging it.  Tonight she got out two types of cereal, a bowl, a spoon, and put two pre-filled cups with milk in the fridge.

This new independence development both thrills and terrifies me.  Ginger follows her around watching her every move.  As much as I'd like to think that Ginger is "babysitting" my child, I'm pretty sure the dog knows where she's gonna score big time in the dropped food category.  Also pretty sure the dog isn't going to stop her from stabbing a carton of milk with a very sharp knife.

So my 5 year old daughter is getting up before I do and is making her own breakfast. This is good for both of us, right?  If she opens a door, the alarm goes off so it's not like she's going anywhere quietly.

We'll see how tomorrow morning goes.   And um, where's MY breakfast???

Update from the morning after:  Every single marshmallow from the Lucky Charms box was gone.  She ate colored marshmallows in milk for breakfast.  But I blissfully slept until 7:30!  

No comments: