Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Sunday, August 9, 2015

My birthday - 43!

For the first time in years, I decided to take my birthday off work and this sweet girl brought me breakfast in bed!  


Lucky charms and banana bread.



There may have been more lucky charms (and milk) on the floor in the kitchen than in the bowl but what a big heart this little girl has!


She had brought me flowers and my favorite "mommy donuts" the previous day.


And I finally got the birthday mug she'd told me about over a week ago but hadn't let me see yet.  Nana had sent a package with strict instructions for her to wrap the mug with the enclosed gift bag and tissue paper.  She dutifully kicked me out of the family room while she got it wrapped, then told me it was a mug, pointed out the pictures in the house that were used on the mug, then expertly hid it so I couldn't see it until my birthday.  This is why I don't tell Kendall secrets and why I'm fairly confident that she will tell me anything and everything she sees, hears, or imagines.  




We spent my birthday with friends at a pool and were both in bed by 9:00 that evening after a pizza dinner.  Well, pizza for me, chicken nuggets for Kendall because she is "off pizza" right now for some inexplicable reason.  The flower arrangement below couldn't be delivered on my birthday so I got them the day after.  SO pretty and made my entire house smell good for a few hours!


The night after my birthday, Kendall went for a sleepover with her dad and I went to a Girls' Wine and Swim Night at my friend Betsy's house around the corner.  It was a great turnout of really cool, and ultimately really tipsy, moms.  We may have gotten a bit rowdy.  Patty's birthday was last week and Betsy surprised us both with cakes!  Both cakes met unfortunate and untimely deaths; one because a Cicada flew into the ceiling fan, bounced off a few screeching moms and landed in my cake, and the other because someone (names shall not be mentioned) may have pulled a tick off of the dog and the clump of fur containing the tick may have blown into Patty's cake.   The lesson here?  Outdoor ceiling fans, bugs and cakes do not mix.


Here is my cake pre bug bombing.  I will say the advantage to having carrot cake as my favorite cake is that I was not going to have to share it with anyone.  Apparently when given the choice between a cake made from a vegetable and red velvet cake, 9 out of 10 people will choose the latter.  And when given the choice between a cake with a cicada in it or a cake with a tick in it, 10 out of 10 people choose wine.  


I was out past midnight and did not turn into a pumpkin ... or a prune ... or whatever 43 year old women might turn into.  I did leave my flip flops at Betsy's house and thus far no handsome prince has knocked at my door for a flip flop fitting.  Sigh ... guess I'll go get them when I return the random towel I came home wearing.  

The BEST part of the weekend?  I slept until 9:30 this morning!!  I haven't been up 12 hours yet today and I'm officially going back to bed.  Just can't party like I used to.  :)  

No comments: