This time, MINE! Kendall made me a sign and insisted that I pose for pictures with it. I suppose turnabout is fair play.
After 5.5 years at Akin, my last day was this past Friday. My new firm, the Blum Firm, is also in Dallas but in uptown (not downtown) in the Crescent building which is quite posh! The main office is in Fort Worth but the Dallas office has been around for 7 years now and the managing partner is a friend I used to work with at my first firm in Dallas. There are literally 4 attorneys in the Dallas office right now so it's significantly smaller and a very different vibe. One attorney is on maternity leave and will be back later this month. And the best part is that the partner at Akin who hired me and with whom I've worked closely for the past 5.5 years is coming with me. Ed has become a dear friend and is picking up his entire client base and moving it with him. We were hired as a "team," although Ed is almost 80 years old and is a significantly better player of this game than I. He will be joining me sometime toward the end of this year. He has 50 years of work to get together and move. I jumped ship early so I could avoid having to help with his move get settled in first and then help Ed transition.
Here is my view from my new office. The refrigerator in the kitchen was already stocked with cheese and other low carb snacks for me and I have an admin assistant named Mike. My pay is based on collections, which is a bit scary, but should be a significant pay increase. And I finally get benefits! AND I still get to leave the office at 3 every day to pick up Kendall from school. I imagine there will be more work but if all goes well, I'll be able to do it from home when I need to. But working from the office doesn't seem like it's going to be all that bad! And at home I have no Mike and have to stock my own fridge with cheese.





No comments:
Post a Comment