Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to School!

Our back to school celebration began on the "First Day of School Eve" by going out for a nice dinner at a restaurant of Kendall's choosing.  She chose the Alligator Cafe.  This baffled me a bit, since the food is cajun/creole and has nothing that can be called "entertainment" for children, but then I realized that they have mac & cheese.  Kraft mac & cheese, to be exact.  Which she could've had for free at home ... but apparently it's better in a cajun atmosphere.  And my blackened shrimp caesar salad was really good!  And as an added bonus, Grandmother and Pops met us for dinner!



For the first time EVER, Kendall was excited about having her 1st day of school picture taken, mainly because of her new Mickey AND FRIENDS "pack pack" and lunch box that have everyone on them!  We got a few shots inside and then ventured outside.  




... where we were lucky to get the following 2 pictures before the ridiculous humidity fogged up my expensive camera lens causing me to freak out about potential water damage and hurry it back inside.  (The humidity this morning was reminiscent of Gainesville, FL weather and not ok with me at all.)



When we got to school, Kendall marched right into her classroom like she owned it and showed her teacher, Ms. Michelle, her new lunchbox and "pack pack."  Then she helped me unload her stuff into her cubby and went to wash her hands (the first thing we do when we get to school).  This year Kendall is in a small class of only seven kids with one very experienced, veteran JCC teacher.  Her afternoon "nap class" teacher on Mondays and Wednesdays is one of her adored teachers from last year.  

I knew all would be well this morning when she asked Michelle if she could "cut" (meaning "use the scissors) and Michelle's response was "you are always welcome to use anything in the art center during free time!"  Oh boy - unfettered access to scissors!  After warning her (3 times to be exact before I realized I may have been hovering just a tad) that she was to use her scissors on paper only and never her hair or that of anyone else, I left and all I got was a "Bye Mommy ..." and a half-hearted wave behind her head.  


I picked her up a little after 4:00, a bit early because I was excited to hear about her day and I also had a bone to pick with the director for posting a picture of me (looking like a frazzled, fat cow) and Kendall (looking all cute and excited) walking up to the school on their Facebook page.   Kendall's official report of the day was that it was "SUPER GREAT!"  And she talked about it the entire drive home.  My ears are tired.  But so thankful it's from hearing a positive report and nothing negative!  I think this is going to be a perfect year for Kendall!  

Oh, and I managed to be giddy enough about her fabulous first day that I allowed myself to be talked into signing her up for gymnastics on Monday afternoons (attractive also because her teachers dress her for gymnastics, take her to their new state of the art gymnastics center, then get her back in her clothes and take her back to her nap class - all while I'm in my cozy, kid-free office!)  2 dance classes, 2 swim lessons, 3 school mornings, 2 school afternoons, and now a gymnastics class every week.  Good thing she's young and has the energy because I'm tired just adding it up!  

No comments: