Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Kendall Jane Harris - 6 years old

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Swimming update

Kendall's most recent swim lesson (lesson #12) was every bit the same nightmare as her very first lesson.  I was ready to give up and left in tears.  BUT, for some reason, since then, she has done a 180 and instead in place of the sheer terror of the water she has exhibited all summer, she now shows a complete and total disregard for the fact that she cannot breathe underneath it.  I'm not sure which one I prefer.  Here are some pictures of her at the back to school bash at the JCC pool.  




And here are pictures in her friend Sean's pool.  I finally put her puddle jumper on because the child seems to be under the belief that she can swim.  She cannot.  



The kid's a sinker.  I took her to the JCC pool this week a couple of times because we skipped her formal swim lesson for the first week all summer.  (Partially because it coincided with her school open house, but admittedly, I could've rescheduled the lesson and just needed a personal reprieve from "Nockin'bird Swim" for a week.)  Several times, she threw Goofy 6 feet from the stairs, yelled, "I'll get you Goof, don't worry - I'm a lifeguard!" and then launched herself into the water.  It gave me great hope to see that she CAN actually swim 5-6 feet (though it's not pretty to watch).  The fact that each time she reached Goofy, she grabbed him, promptly sank and then subsequently yelled at me to leave her alone when I scooped her off the bottom of the pool ... not so great.  

Next week, she'll continue her lessons at Mockingbird Swim on Thursday mornings AND she'll have weekly swim lessons at school on Mondays.  This child WILL be able to swim on top of the water by this time next year if it kills me.  Kills ME, not her.    

No comments: